Yield: 6 servings
* 1 large onion or 2 small onions
* 1/2 cup olive oil (not extra-virgin)
* 2 teaspoons English mustard
* 1 tablespoon dried sage
* Freshly ground black pepper
* 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
* 1 lemon
* 1 (4-pound) chicken, jointed into 10 pieces
* 12 sausages
* 2 tablespoons fresh sage leaves, chopped
Peel and cut the onion into eighths, and put into a freezer bag with
the oil, mustard, dried sage, a good grinding of pepper, and
Worcestershire sauce. Cut lemon in half, squeeze juice into bag, and
then cut the halves into eighths and add them. Squidge everything
around to mix (the mustard needs help to combine) and then add the
chicken pieces. Leave to marinade in the refrigerator overnight, or
for up to 2 days.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Allow the chicken to come to room
temperature in its marinade.
Arrange the chicken pieces in a roasting tin skin side up with the
marinade, including all the bits and pieces, and tuck the sausages
around them. Sprinkle the fresh sage leaves over the chicken and
sausages and then put the tin into the oven to cook for 1 hour and 15
minutes. Turn the sausages over half way through to color them evenly.
Arrange the chicken and sausages on a large platter.